Red5 Pro is proud to announce our role in the next generation of WebRTC streaming standards. As the introduction of WHIP and WHEP has changed the face of real-time streaming media, we believe the future of the industry falls on the ever-increasing need for engagement and personalization. With that in mind, we are introducing the… Continue reading WHOOMP: The Future of WebRTC Real-Time Interactive Streaming
Red5 Pro is proud to announce our role in the next generation of WebRTC streaming standards. As the introduction of WHIP and WHEP has changed the face of real-time streaming media, we believe the future of the industry falls on the ever-increasing need for engagement and personalization. With that in mind, we are introducing the development of the WebRTC HTTP Optimization for Optimized Media Performance (WHOOMP) standard.
WHOOMP combines WebRTC and HTTP AI-based optimization techniques to enhance media performance and increase user engagement levels. Taking this one step further, by utilizing artificial intelligence, WHOOMP creates a highly optimized, personalized, and immersive streaming experience for each individual user.
Key Features and Benefits of WHOOMP
Where WHIP and WHEP help by standardizing WebRTC signaling over HTTP, they still use RTP (typically over UPD) to stream video content. WHOOMP takes an entirely different approach by transporting the media over HTTP as well. This allows for delivery over standard CDNs while also using a unified signaling approach based on the initial WHIP and WHEP specifications. WHOOMP optimizes the HTTP delivery of media content for WebRTC applications with incredibly low latency, with the goal of improving performance and overall media experience of standard HTTP delivery technologies like LL-HLS, CMAF, HESP, and others.
Furthermore, as the protocol was developed as an AI-first delivery scheme created using AI itself, it uses an advanced neural network to analyze streams being packaged in real time for HTTP delivery. This AI approach means that we can achieve incredible latency (sub-200 ms in our initial tests) even over standard TCP-based mechanisms.
“We were really surprised by what the WHOOMP AI came up with. It basically throws out the standard playbook of what’s possible with HTTP-based streaming. We’ve had to reassess our entire strategy with WebRTC because of this. I can’t tell you how excited we are about the possibilities WHOOMP introduces to the streaming industry as a whole. Sub 200ms latency over HTTP is just scratching the surface of what’s possible.” – Mark Pace, Red5 Pro CTO
We leveraged a GPT-based model to both build and run the system. The algorithm the AI wrote is so advanced in many respects that we don’t entirely understand what it is doing at the lowest levels. To make matters even more interesting, the AI continually evolves the delivery algorithm based on its learnings as more streams flow through the system. So while we are achieving 200 ms latency with little-to-no jitter today, it’s completely possible, and even expected, that it will get much better over time.
Some of the key features and benefits of WHOOMP include:
- Adaptive Bitrate Streaming: WHOOMP incorporates adaptive bitrate streaming (ABS) to dynamically adjust the bitrate of media content based on the user’s network conditions. This ensures that the user receives the best possible quality of media content without interruptions or buffering.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) Integration: WHOOMP integrates with CDNs to deliver media content from the closest server to the user, reducing latency and improving overall performance.
- Prioritized Content Delivery: WHOOMP prioritizes the delivery of media content based on its importance or relevance, ensuring that critical content is delivered first and improving the overall user experience.
- Improved Scalability: WHOOMP improves the scalability of WebRTC applications by reducing the load on the server and enabling more users to access media content simultaneously.
- Reduced Costs: WHOOMP reduces the costs associated with delivering media content over HTTP by optimizing the delivery process and minimizing the use of resources.
- Personalization: WHOOMP relies on advanced machine learning algorithms and powerful computing resources to analyze user behavior and preferences and then uses this information to tailor the streaming experience to each individual user.
- Flexibility: WHOOMP supports H.264, VP9, and AV1 encoding, ensuring widespread support today, as well as a future-proofing for tomorrow’s compression needs.
- Future Innovation: Ongoing Adaptive AI-based learning algorithm that improves as it’s being used.
WHOOMP and Artificial Intelligence
WHOOMP utilizes complex AI algorithms for image and video processing, as well as advanced data analytics tools for analyzing user behavior and preferences. It takes this knowledge and dynamically adjusts the stream delivery over HTTP for incredible optimizations.
One of the most interesting side effects of this use of AI in real-time interactive streaming applications is that it can significantly enhance the user experience by providing personalized and engaging content. For example, in the online gaming arena, the AI could enhance the gaming experience by analyzing the user’s gameplay style and suggesting new strategies in real time. This would create a more challenging and engaging gaming experience for the user.
Additionally, in online education, services using WHOOMP could recommend additional educational materials to the user in real time based on their behavior and preferences. Students would receive a tailored experience with the extra support they require.
The WHOOMP standard, with its use of AI, has the potential to significantly enhance the streaming experience by creating a personalized and immersive experience for each individual user. This, in turn, helps with customer retention and brand growth. Red5 Pro is proud to be a founding member of the WHOOMP Alliance, bringing this next generation of interactivity to industry.
Are you ready to add personalization and engagement to your product? We’d love to chat! Contact Sydney for more information.
*Availability expected on 4/1/2024.